14 August 2012

Job in favela Rocinha

Hey there, I got a job here in Rocinha. In a furniture store where we bought bed and some other stuff. Owner is good man who knows all that stuff about giving workers 30 brl per day for carrying realy heavy things and deliverying in their homes. But in a country where is minimal salary around 625 BRL per month (300 USD) is this realy good.

For someone it's difficult to deal with it because it's the worst kind of job that you can get it here, worst paid and after 10 hours shift you are completely broken. It's not like czech expats in USA because in USA even with minimal salary can live with european standards. Here is favela. Nothing here  reminds european standards. And it's way beyond brazilian standard.

But as I noticed inside of their favela's houses there is lot of comfort of middle class like plasma TV and airconditioning system and Xbox :) But of course there's a lot of poverty when people has nothing and they are living in shanty houses.

When you carry furniture you will get attention of people because they never seen white man with blond hair and blue eyes doing this kind of job.

And other news: as I wrote before there is many police officers with submashine guns. One night I was in local bar drinking beer and police was checking on me. With a serious face I had to pull off my T-shirt and they checked my balls :D

3 comments:

  1. Super prácička za dozoru sapíků místních policajtů :-) a ještě si užiješ vzrušení...

    Večer musíš bejt teda dost rozbitej nosit nábytek po favele :-) a to ještě do kopce po schodech... no dobrá práce, ale asi ne na věky věků ne :-), to by v evropě evropani těžko rozdýchávali... tak sem dám alepson link na nějaký foto z rocinhi,jakej je to kopeček, no palce na horu a gl
    https://www.google.cz/search?q=rocinha&hl=cs&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=jRYrUM_HAqin6wHYk4GoDA&ved=0CFwQsAQ&biw=1252&bih=561

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you for real, aren't you a little bit afraid what with anti 1st world sentiment and the fact they all assume blonde blue eyed people have money. Are you concerned for your safety?

    You have guts I will tell you that. At least you will have an interesting story. Just out of curiosity why a favela in Rio? I mean how is the job market in England?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Scarrlette,
    before I came to Brasil I was realy afraid of non-asphalted roads. Right now I'm cured. Before I've first time visited Rocinha I was literaly scared of violence and drug dealers. Right now I feel like fool.
    OK it's not like in Europe or USA and I've seen guyes with submachine guns recently but I don't feel in danger.
    This is almost stereotype here that gringos have trilions of dolars and euros :D I don't have nothing. It's like with educated people in BR: you can't see noone until one day you'll find person its inteligence is way beyond all you know.

    Actually I think that in London or in Prague is much more easier to get a good well paid job for me in banking or something. And that's why I leaved. I'm feeling a lot more better carrying stuff or working in hotel on meaningless position. Right now I started to learn french and I don't have to think about investing money of people who even doesn't care.

    You know I don't want to stay here for whole my life pretending that this life is good but I'm taking a realy deep breath and thinking about what to do next. Stay here in Brazil has value...

    ReplyDelete