14 May 2012

Mothers' day in Brazil and churrasco on the roof

Yesterday was Mothers' day all around the world. But since Brazil is matriarchy it was big event. Mom here is a head of family. The cult of mother is so strong that almost every family doesn't have father. I think that it has something in common with divorces and family separation in Brazil. It looks like woman is more important here than man.

I was invited for family barbecue on favela. I have to say that I'm not so social right now, but someone said to me that is quiete impolite to refuse invitation for churrasco. So I went.

Sunday here in Rocinha was really rainy, but in my opinion was there in small house on favela a lot of people. Aproximatelly 12. Acording of other it wasn't so much. For that 12 invited persons was 30kg of all kind of meat. All was coming with wishing for mom of the family. Just like on birthday.

This event was on roof of house with a kind of roof of sails. In the middle of roof was homemade barbecue grill and 2kW big loudspeaker. I didn't hear what others were saying. Nothing usual. Brazilian are always like that. Frankly, I didn't care what they were saying. I was on my wave with laptop.

They found it outrageous too. When it's party you can't work. I have to explain what I do every day. It's quiete anoying. But funny.

When you realize that people from the poorest circles don't want to spend more time with working besides their job, it is funny, because person they considere to be rich or from rich country trying to work every minute of his life. They don't understand me why. I'm trying to explain. And I don't understand why they want to listen to me about working.

What will help is tolerance. I will tolerate their desire stay poor and maybe they will tolerate my effort not to be eaten by rats.

3 comments:

  1. K nám na vesnici přijel synáček a dcera o n. byla to sláva celá rodinka pohromadě :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. a všichni se tvářili štastně...

    ReplyDelete